Nominee!
Best Blog, Best
Personal Blog &
Best Family Blog
Canadian Blog Awards


Blog Of The Day Awards Winner


Finalist!
Best Canadian Blog


Nominee!
Best New &
Best Humour Blog



Published at
ParentingHumor.com


Parent's Home Office



Tell a friend:



If you are linking to "Thoughts2Page" on your website, please feel free to copy and use this button:



My Photo
Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Elaine's writing has finally tumbled into cyberspace! After writing content under the radar for other websites, she is coming clean and tagging her opinions, humor and sarcasm with her own name.

If you like what you read (or even if you don't), Elaine would love to hear from you. Click on the "Comments" link at the end of any entry or email her and put your own "thoughts2page"! If you really like what you read, be sure to tell a friend!

Email Feedback!
"Love your stuff! ... your comments are spot on"...DB, Canada

"...thoroughly enjoyed your comments and very honest outlook on life. Very well done, keep up the good work."...KS, UK

"Your stuff just gets better and better!" ...JH, USA

"I Love this! I don't think I can get enough of your writing. I like your style!"...SS, USA

"Great - now the people at my new job think I'm the village idiot who sits at her desk in the morning and laughs - ALONE!" ...DH, Canada


Powered by Blogger

Site Feed

Creative Commons Licence

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

blog search directory

Listed on BlogsCanada


Humor & fun cool stuff

Flookie Blog Search

Blog Directory & Search engine

Blog-Sweet

FindingBlog - Blog Directory

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

When is sex not sex?

I was reading the paper the other day and was smacked upside the head (no pun intended) by an article on oral sex. If just the term “oral sex” makes you squirm, then you might not want my opinions on this. But opinions I have. The reason being, this article was about teens and their beliefs about that particular activity – and I’m worried.

As the mother of two girls who are becoming old enough not to believe that “oral sex” means “sex you only talk about,” I’m always aware of the types of messages they might be receiving from their friends or through the media. The report being discussed in the paper stated “about one in five 14 year olds have tried oral sex and one in three intend to have it within the next six months.” Now hold up – I HAVE a 14 year old and if she’s that “one in five” they’re talking about, I’d be truly surprised. If she’s the “one in three” they’re talking about, SHE will be truly surprised – because she won’t be leaving the house any time in the next six months.

Look… I’m not old-fashioned. I sure as hell don’t have my head buried in the sand (or anywhere else) when it comes to the realities of growing up in today’s less-than-innocent world. As much as I’d love to think my daughters would want to wait to share such intimate acts with someone they truly love, I can’t allow myself to be that naïve. Some risks are worth taking. Others are not. Parents who still harbor the “not MY kid” mentality are just fooling themselves.

Most parents I’ve spoken to say they dread the idea of having “the talk” with their kids. I take issue with “the talk” too. Why is it one conversation? Do parents cover everything the burgeoning bags of hormones are going to need to know to stay healthy and safe within a single, 15-minute blush fest? Sorry. Not in our house. We try to foster an open environment at home, much to the sheer agony of both girls. We’ve played such delightful dinner games as “wrong names for body parts” and “do you really know what this means?”… trust me, they eat dinner a lot quicker, if nothing else.

The first time I seriously talked sex with each of them, we covered what I thought was a lot… up to and including masturbation. We even discussed birth control. Feel free to tell me I’m wrong for bringing up birth control with a 9 year old but, if she is curious enough to ask, I am strong enough to tell. At the end of our chat, she looked at me and said “Know what Mom? When I grow up, I’m going to remember to say “No condom? No way!”

I’m no prude. In fact, I’m very open-minded. More than anything, I love my kids. I love them enough to know that, even though they are book smart, that’s a world away from street smart. I didn’t discuss oral sex in those first conversations. It was one thing I left out. I covered your basic plumbing and procreation. When their eyes started rolling back in their heads, I thought it was enough. Now Health Canada says that 30% of 9th graders have already had oral sex. 14-year-old girls surveyed in the U.S. felt that oral sex didn’t collide with their “moral beliefs” the way “regular sex” does, that it involves little to no risk of sexually transmitted infections (?!) … oh and, naturally, it allows them to save themselves for marriage.

So, there you have it. Young people are out there, engaging in highly intimate behavior that they think is no big deal. They believe oral sex isn’t “real sex” so that makes it just fun and games.

And their parents can’t get them to eat BROCCOLI?

Comments on "When is sex not sex?"

 

post a comment

Google