Nominee!
Best Blog, Best
Personal Blog &
Best Family Blog
Canadian Blog Awards


Blog Of The Day Awards Winner


Finalist!
Best Canadian Blog


Nominee!
Best New &
Best Humour Blog



Published at
ParentingHumor.com


Parent's Home Office



Tell a friend:



If you are linking to "Thoughts2Page" on your website, please feel free to copy and use this button:



My Photo
Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Elaine's writing has finally tumbled into cyberspace! After writing content under the radar for other websites, she is coming clean and tagging her opinions, humor and sarcasm with her own name.

If you like what you read (or even if you don't), Elaine would love to hear from you. Click on the "Comments" link at the end of any entry or email her and put your own "thoughts2page"! If you really like what you read, be sure to tell a friend!

Email Feedback!
"Love your stuff! ... your comments are spot on"...DB, Canada

"...thoroughly enjoyed your comments and very honest outlook on life. Very well done, keep up the good work."...KS, UK

"Your stuff just gets better and better!" ...JH, USA

"I Love this! I don't think I can get enough of your writing. I like your style!"...SS, USA

"Great - now the people at my new job think I'm the village idiot who sits at her desk in the morning and laughs - ALONE!" ...DH, Canada


Powered by Blogger

Site Feed

Creative Commons Licence

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

blog search directory

Listed on BlogsCanada


Humor & fun cool stuff

Flookie Blog Search

Blog Directory & Search engine

Blog-Sweet

FindingBlog - Blog Directory

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Booze and Backpacks

Well, here we are again… the end of summer vacation. How I hate this time of year. Not because of the change in the weather – the nip in the morning air is rather refreshing, as my days of watering my flowers grow numbered. Not because it’s friggin’ dark when you get up at 3AM with your husband and then again at 6AM with your kids – I get used to the routine in a few days. Not because I have to make those infernal lunches again that I am ALWAYS complaining about – in truth, I take a certain pride in making sure that my family has healthy food to get through their busy days. I HATE this time of year because the girls go back to school. And I miss them.

Go ahead. Assume that I’m one of “THOSE” mothers. The kind that think their kids walk on water (mine don’t – sometimes I’m tempted to hold their heads under, just to make sure they’re listening). The kind whose own lives cease to matter without being involved in the minutia of their children’s schedules (my own work agenda is frightful enough for me, thanks!). Believe me, I well and truly cut the umbilical cord when each daughter screeched her way into the world. I respect them as individuals, with their own responsibilities, as I tend to mine.

Fact of the matter is, I actually LIKE my kids. Summer is a nice time for us to reconnect, without the hassles of homework, the mountains of laundry that HAVE to be done or the world as they know it will cease to exist (because we all know the horrendous fashion faux pas that results from being forced to wear the “orange” t-shirt versus the “dark peach”), the forms to be submitted on time, the fees to be paid on time, the library books to be returned on time…

UGHHHH… just STOP!

THAT is what summer is – it’s the “stop sign” of daily life. For a wonderful eight to ten weeks out of the year, we respect it. The rest of the time we blow past it like a bat outta hell and pray there’s a life cop somewhere in our midst that will pull us over and sentence us to time behind a bar - preferably one with excellent margaritas!

So, as we sadly put our foot on the gas and accelerate our way into another year in academia, I thought to myself, “What can I do to make things more fun?” … then I answered, “SING ELAINE! SING!”

Since I always try to listen to me, here’s my little ditty. Meet me at the bar when YOU get pulled over and we’ll do this one karaoke-style over those margaritas.

On the first day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … the budget of a small-ish country

On the second day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … two new backpacks, and the budget of a small-ish country

On the third day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the fourth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the fifth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the sixth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the seventh day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … seven pairs of undies, six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the eighth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … eight kinds of gel pens, seven pairs of undies, six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the ninth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … nine new erasers, eight kinds of gel pens, seven pairs of undies, six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the tenth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … ten packs of looseleaf, nine new erasers, eight kinds of gel pens, seven pairs of undies, six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the eleventh day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … eleven one-inch binders, ten packs of looseleaf, nine new erasers, eight kinds of gel pens, seven pairs of undies, six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks and the budget of a small-ish country

On the twelfth day of Back to School, my daughters asked of me … twelve cups of coffee, eleven one-inch binders, ten packs of looseleaf, nine new erasers, eight kinds of gel pens, seven pairs of undies, six boys for gawkin’ at, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiive pairs of jeans … four packs of pencils, three styles of notebooks, two new backpacks …

and the budget of a small-ish country!

Comments on "Booze and Backpacks"

 

post a comment

Google