Nominee!
Best Blog, Best
Personal Blog &
Best Family Blog
Canadian Blog Awards


Blog Of The Day Awards Winner


Finalist!
Best Canadian Blog


Nominee!
Best New &
Best Humour Blog



Published at
ParentingHumor.com


Parent's Home Office



Tell a friend:



If you are linking to "Thoughts2Page" on your website, please feel free to copy and use this button:



My Photo
Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Elaine's writing has finally tumbled into cyberspace! After writing content under the radar for other websites, she is coming clean and tagging her opinions, humor and sarcasm with her own name.

If you like what you read (or even if you don't), Elaine would love to hear from you. Click on the "Comments" link at the end of any entry or email her and put your own "thoughts2page"! If you really like what you read, be sure to tell a friend!

Email Feedback!
"Love your stuff! ... your comments are spot on"...DB, Canada

"...thoroughly enjoyed your comments and very honest outlook on life. Very well done, keep up the good work."...KS, UK

"Your stuff just gets better and better!" ...JH, USA

"I Love this! I don't think I can get enough of your writing. I like your style!"...SS, USA

"Great - now the people at my new job think I'm the village idiot who sits at her desk in the morning and laughs - ALONE!" ...DH, Canada


Powered by Blogger

Site Feed

Creative Commons Licence

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

blog search directory

Listed on BlogsCanada


Humor & fun cool stuff

Flookie Blog Search

Blog Directory & Search engine

Blog-Sweet

FindingBlog - Blog Directory

Friday, June 24, 2005

You are cordially invited

I consider myself to be a pretty capable person. I have good management skills. I’m organized (well, except for my desk – we all have our downfall). I can successfully coordinate groups of people. So, why the HELL am I having so much trouble getting a birthday party off the ground?!

My daughter just turned 15. My incredibly gracious sister offered to throw a pool party for her and some friends, instead of buying her a gift. This makes a whole lot of sense considering THIS daughter takes about a year and a half to write a Christmas list. She’s not good at asking for what she wants. Trust me when I say, in the overall scheme of things, this is a blessing. When you actually WANT her to ask for something, it’s a pain in the ass.

So, fine. Here we are. My sister tells my daughter approximately how many teens she’s willing to have invade her backyard – a number somewhat higher than I’d be willing to deal with, in her position. I’m thinking this is a great thing. It should make the guest list a piece of cake (oh crap! I have to buy another cake!). She’s prepared to supply pizza, sodas, chips and junk food. Wheeee! All I need to do is throw in a veggie platter, maybe a fruit tray, the cake and they have a party. What could be easier?

Well, apparently NOT the guest list! For about a week now, my daughter (who I’ve coined “Invitationally Impaired” or I.I. for short) has obsessed over who to invite and, even more importantly, who NOT to invite to this little shindig. It seems, when you’re 15, your whole social standing will be made or broken by the guest list. Our conversations have contained such gems as “I can’t invite her unless I invite the other two girls – they do everything together! Well, two at a time anyway.” Three best friends who can apparently only handle each other in pairs. Nice. Then, there was “My boyfriend is going to be the only guy at the party?!?” Uhhh, no honey. Unless you want heartbreak in mega doses, don’t invite your boyfriend to a pool party with 6 or 8 girls, in varying stages of undress (have you SEEN bikinis lately?) and expect his attention to stay centered on you. Whether it’s your birthday or not is irrelevant. Too much bouncing and swaying is enough to … elevate … any 15-year-old guy into hormone hyperactivity. The solution? Invite more boys.

At this point, I.I. informs me that she “thinks” this girl “might” like that boy – but she’s not sure because she heard they were fighting a lot. Then, she can’t invite that guy because he’s already dated (and dumped) the majority of the girls on the guest list – BUT he’s a friend of her boyfriend. Somewhere around this point, my eyes glazed over and rolled back in my head.

I know it’s not easy being a teenager. I remember it all too well. The shyness. The awkwardness. The struggle to do things “exactly right.” The desire to smack that bitch right upside the…. Sorry – my feet got stuck in the mud on Memory Lane.

At this point in time, I.I.’s party still hangs in the balance. RSVPs were requested by tonight. Her email account is eerily quiet but at least the phone rang. Her boyfriend will definitely be there. Unfortunately, no matter how good my planning and organizational skills may be, this one rests firmly on I.I. All I can do is hope that her so-called “friends” come through for her. Otherwise, I’ll be intensely driven to smack those… well, you get the idea. In my book, “birthday” should always and forever be preceded by “HAPPY” – even if I have to micro-manage it to death to make it so.

Comments on "You are cordially invited"

 

post a comment

Google