Nominee!
Best Blog, Best
Personal Blog &
Best Family Blog
Canadian Blog Awards


Blog Of The Day Awards Winner


Finalist!
Best Canadian Blog


Nominee!
Best New &
Best Humour Blog



Published at
ParentingHumor.com


Parent's Home Office



Tell a friend:



If you are linking to "Thoughts2Page" on your website, please feel free to copy and use this button:



My Photo
Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Elaine's writing has finally tumbled into cyberspace! After writing content under the radar for other websites, she is coming clean and tagging her opinions, humor and sarcasm with her own name.

If you like what you read (or even if you don't), Elaine would love to hear from you. Click on the "Comments" link at the end of any entry or email her and put your own "thoughts2page"! If you really like what you read, be sure to tell a friend!

Email Feedback!
"Love your stuff! ... your comments are spot on"...DB, Canada

"...thoroughly enjoyed your comments and very honest outlook on life. Very well done, keep up the good work."...KS, UK

"Your stuff just gets better and better!" ...JH, USA

"I Love this! I don't think I can get enough of your writing. I like your style!"...SS, USA

"Great - now the people at my new job think I'm the village idiot who sits at her desk in the morning and laughs - ALONE!" ...DH, Canada


Powered by Blogger

Site Feed

Creative Commons Licence

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

blog search directory

Listed on BlogsCanada


Humor & fun cool stuff

Flookie Blog Search

Blog Directory & Search engine

Blog-Sweet

FindingBlog - Blog Directory

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Get the message?

What is with some business people and their outgoing voicemail messages? Have you ever been subjected to someone’s life story, when all you really wanted to do was leave your name and number after the beep?

“Hello, you’ve reached the voicemail of Bob Smith. I’m sorry I’m out of the office today. I am doing some incredibly important business in our secondary facility in Shaboogamoo. I will be checking voicemail approximately three times a day, in between my critically important meetings with the upper echelon of management there. If you leave your name, number and a detailed message, I will decide if you are worthy of a call. If so, I will reach you via my Blackberry™ because I’m cool that way. Alternately, you may get a reply from my secretary, simply because I want you to know that I have one.”

Sigh.

SO much more than I need to know. I don’t care if Bob is the CEO or the cafeteria maintenance person. If I’m calling him, I have his number and there’s a reason I need to speak to him. He doesn’t have to try so hard to impress me. This isn’t a pissing contest.

You see, I’m self-employed. An independent contractor who works each day from the “home office facility.” My outgoing voicemail message is a polite but short blurb, apologizing that no one is currently available to take your call but inviting you, if you wish, to leave a message after the tone. This seems adequate to me and equally appropriate for a business or personal call.

I got to thinking about people like Bob. Some corporations do indeed require that their employees leave their availability or “current status” in their announcement. I get that. Hell, I’ve DONE that. But, in many cases, people really just want to try to make an impression on their captive audience.

Since I work from home, I figure I could make a wonderful, albeit LINGERING, impression if I left outgoing messages truthful to my "current status” at any given moment. Being serious, dedicated and a professional in all aspects of my work, I’d never really do it… but here are some I’d secretly just LOVE to try out:

“Hello and thank you for calling. I am out of my office today and working from the dining room table facility. Please leave your name and number and, as soon as I find the cordless phone, I’ll call you back. BEEP!

“I’m sorry I’m not available to take your call right now. I’m currently hard at work, in collaboration with Proctor & Gamble. I have about six loads left to do and then I’ll return your call. BEEP!

“Hello. I am currently unavailable to take your call. An unexpected scheduling conflict arose when Fido decided to yack all over the home office carpet as I was about to start work. I will call you back after I disinfect my hands and settle my stomach. BEEP!

“Hello. I truly wish I could take your call. Please do not take this message to mean that I am uninterested in your new project, as I would dearly love to accept it. However, I am currently stuck entertaining yet another drop-in visitor who refuses to believe that “work at home” really does mean WORK at home. I will return your call as soon as I’m done looking bored, distracted and repeatedly checking my watch. BEEP!

… and, last but not least…

HELLO BOB. Thank you for finally getting around to returning my call. I’m sorry I didn’t have the luxury of waiting around for you to reach the lower “echelon” of your pecking order. Part of the reason I work from home is so that I can be productive, avoid unnecessary meetings and sleep-inducing lunches, and actually accomplish what I need to do each day. Following that, I attend a critically important, daily meeting at the dining room table facility – with my family, who seriously outrank you, Bob… because they’re cool that way. BEEP!

Comments on "Get the message?"

 

post a comment

Google