Nominee!
Best Blog, Best
Personal Blog &
Best Family Blog
Canadian Blog Awards


Blog Of The Day Awards Winner


Finalist!
Best Canadian Blog


Nominee!
Best New &
Best Humour Blog



Published at
ParentingHumor.com


Parent's Home Office



Tell a friend:



If you are linking to "Thoughts2Page" on your website, please feel free to copy and use this button:



My Photo
Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Elaine's writing has finally tumbled into cyberspace! After writing content under the radar for other websites, she is coming clean and tagging her opinions, humor and sarcasm with her own name.

If you like what you read (or even if you don't), Elaine would love to hear from you. Click on the "Comments" link at the end of any entry or email her and put your own "thoughts2page"! If you really like what you read, be sure to tell a friend!

Email Feedback!
"Love your stuff! ... your comments are spot on"...DB, Canada

"...thoroughly enjoyed your comments and very honest outlook on life. Very well done, keep up the good work."...KS, UK

"Your stuff just gets better and better!" ...JH, USA

"I Love this! I don't think I can get enough of your writing. I like your style!"...SS, USA

"Great - now the people at my new job think I'm the village idiot who sits at her desk in the morning and laughs - ALONE!" ...DH, Canada


Powered by Blogger

Site Feed

Creative Commons Licence

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

blog search directory

Listed on BlogsCanada


Humor & fun cool stuff

Flookie Blog Search

Blog Directory & Search engine

Blog-Sweet

FindingBlog - Blog Directory

Friday, May 20, 2005

Work to live -- NOT live to work!

When is enough actually enough? Where’s the line in the sand that isn’t to be crossed? In the work-a-day world, it apparently doesn’t exist. I read a story online today about a fellow that was fired from his job at a beer distributor for being “caught” drinking another company’s beer … in a bar … on his OWN time.

The basic storyline indicates that this guy was a warehouse supervisor who went out for a drink with some co-workers. He was not in uniform and, to anyone in the bar who would give a rat’s ass in the first place, he apparently gave no outward indication that he worked for the distributor. He says he ordered his “employer’s” beer but the waitress brought him another brand. He drank it because he didn’t want to wait for her to change it. The son-in-law of the majority shareholder of the distribution company was also at the bar (and, yes, I’m SURE he really loves her and that’s why he married her – nothing at all to do with money or a corner officehonest!). Son-in-Law offered twice to buy Warehouse Guy the “company beer” but Warehouse Guy refused. Warehouse Guy was fired the following Monday. I’m willing to bet Son-in-Law got that corner office or, at the very least, a cushier seat in her Daddy’s good graces.

Look, I have always respected my employers. I play by the rules. A current company that I work for doesn’t allow “solicitation” at work. No schlepping around the kiddies’ chocolate bars or Girl Scout cookies… no lottery pools… no catalogues – at least not during work hours or on the company premises. Whether or not everyone respects the policy, I don’t care. They’ve asked me not to do it (and even took the time to document it and include it in the orientation) so I don’t do it.

HOWEVER… it’s a service company. They offer a service that I “might” occasionally need. They offer me no discount or incentive to use the service - other than loyalty to my employer. Yes, if it’s convenient, I absolutely support that. If, however, I’m running around like the proverbial headless chicken and I can obtain the same service in my own neighborhood, what do you think I’d do? Right on.

Our employer puts the food on our table (hell, our employer probably bought the table) but they don’t do our shopping. They don’t manage our budget. They don’t live in our house. We DO have a life outside of work and we’re entitled to it. Contracts and collective agreements can already be a bargaining nightmare. What if clauses like this start getting thrown in:

“We, at the ABC Bread Company, make the best white bread this side of the universe. As an employee, you will eat only ABC bread and no other bread. We do not produce whole wheat or high-fiber. We do not wish to hear about your colon. You work for ABC Bread Company. Therefore, you will remember who is doing the buttering.”

I have a hard time digesting that. Our employers have the right to dictate our hours to suit their needs. They have the right (and the obligation) to evaluate our performance. They have the right to determine whether or not we deserve a pay increase. They have the right to demand quality. If, on the other hand, employers win the right to dictate what goes into our OWN bodies on our OWN time, then I have a suggestion. Buy stock in the company that produces KY Jelly, Astroglide or some equivalent – because we’re all going to be taking it up the … well, you know where I mean… sooner or later.

Comments on "Work to live -- NOT live to work!"

 

post a comment

Google